The YMCA pool is currently open for lap swimming in the lap pool (by reservation), swim team, water group exercise, and the family pool/zero-depth entry area for families.
Make a Pool Reservation
- Reservations are required for lap swimming.
- Reservations open 48 hours in advance.
- $15 no-show fee: we charge $15 for an missed lane reservation. You must cancel your reservation 1 hour in advance.
- No equipment is available (kickboards, pull buoy, water exercise equipment).
- Family changing rooms are available for restroom use & shower use.
Family change rooms are cleaned and sanitized every hour.
- All pool reservations will open 48 hours prior to the reservation.
For lap swimming:
- Reserved lanes may be used for lap swim, water walking, water jogging, or water exercise.
- Lap swim allows 3 members per lane.
- Just one person per reservation is allowed. If two family members would like to share a lane, both individuals will need to make reservations for the same time.
- Lane reservations are required, and lane selection is done upon arrival.
- Lap swimmers with a reservation will check in at the membership desk.
We offer swim lessons for 6 months old up to adults. Lessons range from 30-40 minutes depending on the age. We offer morning, evening and weekend classes. We also offer swim lessons for diverse abilities, as well as private and semi-private lessons.
Group Swim Lesson Level Selector
All age groups are taught the same skills but divided according to their developmental milestones. To determine which stage the student is ready for, download the selector guide.
Lesson Selector (PDF) >
COVID-19 Swim Lesson Guidelines:
- We are only offering one set of classes per session, so registration is limited.
- Registration is capped for all classes at 4 participants.
Summer 2021 Swim Lesson Flyer (PDF) > [updated April 2021]
Spring_2021_Swim_Lesson_Flyer (PDF) > [updated February 2021]
Registration for swim lessons is open. Registration closes the Monday prior to the week of classes beginning unless classes fill prior to that date. You can register online or in person at the Brooks Family YMCA.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to lack of pool space and instructor availability, we have temporarily stopped accepting new private lesson requests.
Now Hiring Lifeguards & Instructors
About our Lifeguard, Swim Instructor opportunities (PDF) >
Lifeguard Certification and Re-Certification
Register for our American Red Cross blended learning courses. Certification requires seven hours of additional course work outside of class times. Upon successful completion, participants will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguarding Certification including First Aid, CPR, and AED.
- AGE: Must be 15 by the last day of the course.
- PRE-SCREEN: 300 yard swim (freestyle, breaststroke), 20 yard brick retrieval, 2 minutes treading water.
- DATES: June and October (see registration link)
- WHERE: Brooks Family YMCA, 151 McIntire Park Dr.
- FEE: $165 certification, $100 re-certification (FEES WAIVED for staff committed to work at the Piedmont Family YMCA, must pass interview prior to registration)